Intel Core i7 12700K vs i5 12600K

We compared two desktop CPUs: the 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7 12700K with 12-cores against the 3.7 GHz i5 12600K with 10-cores. On this page, you'll find out which processor has better performance in benchmarks, games and other useful information.

Review

General overview and comparison of the processors
Single-Core Performance
Performance in single-threaded apps and benchmarks
Performance
Measure performance when all cores are involved
Power Efficiency
The efficiency score of electricity consumption
NanoReview Final Score
Generic CPU rating

Key Differences

What are the key differences between 12600K and 12700K
Advantages of Intel Core i7 12700K
  • Has 5 MB larger L3 cache size
  • Has 2 more physical cores

Benchmarks

Comparing the performance of CPUs in benchmarks
Cinebench R23 (Single-Core)
Cinebench R23 (Multi-Core)
22797
Passmark CPU (Single-Core)
Passmark CPU (Multi-Core)
34539
Geekbench 5 (Single-Core)
Geekbench 5 (Multi-Core)
15449
By purchasing through links on this site, we may receive a commission from Amazon. This does not affect our assessment methodology.

Specifications

Full technical specification of Intel Core i7 12700K and i5 12600K

General

Vendor Intel Intel
Released October 27, 2021 October 27, 2021
Type Desktop Desktop
instruction set x86-64 x86-64
Codename Alder Lake Alder Lake
Model number i7-12700K i5-12600K
Integrated GPU UHD Graphics 770 UHD Graphics 770

CPU

Performance Cores
P-Cores 8 6
P-Threads 16 12
Base Frequency (P) 3.6 GHz 3.7 GHz
Turbo Boost Frequency (P) 4.9 GHz 4.9 GHz
Efficient Cores
E-Cores 4 4
E-Threads 4 4
Base Frequency (E) 2.7 GHz 2.8 GHz
Turbo Boost Frequency (E) 3.8 GHz 3.6 GHz
Total
Total Cores 12 10
Total Threads 20 16
Bus Frequency 100 MHz 100 MHz
Multiplier 36x 37x
L1 Cache 80K (per core) 80K (per core)
L2 Cache 12MB (shared) 9728K (shared)
L3 Cache 25MB (shared) 20MB (shared)
Unlocked Multiplier Yes Yes

Package

Fabrication process 10 nm 10 nm
Socket LGA-1700 LGA-1700
TDP 125 W 125 W
Max. Boost TDP 190 W 150 W
Peak temperature 100°C 100°C

iGPU

Integrated Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 770 Intel UHD Graphics 770
GPU Base Clock 300 MHz 300 MHz
GPU Boost Clock 1500 MHz 1450 MHz
Shading Units 256 256
TMUs 16 16
ROPs 8 8
Execution Units 32 32
TGP 15 W 15 W
iGPU FLOPS
0.78 TFLOPS
0.78 TFLOPS

Memory Support

Memory types DDR5-4800, DDR4-3200 DDR5-4800, DDR4-3200
Memory Size 128 GB 128 GB
Max. Memory Channels 2 2
Max. Memory Bandwidth 76.8 GB/s 76.8 GB/s
ECC Support Yes Yes

Misc

Official site Intel Core i7 12700K official page Intel Core i5 12600K official page
PCI Express Version 5.0 5.0
PCI Express Lanes 20 20

Cast your vote

Choose between two processors
258 (31.9%)
551 (68.1%)
Total votes: 809

Comments

So which CPU will you choose: Intel Core i5 12600K or i7 12700K?
Avatar
Bud 22 May 2022 04:29
12700k is about 20% faster if you have all the cores hammering at a 100% work rate. In the real world, this is never the case. 12600k is a great chip for 95% of users. The other 5% are probably in professional graphics etc. By the time you want to upgrade from the 12600k you would also want to upgrade from the 12700k, so future-proofing is not the issue. It depends which chip is best value to you at the time you purchase. If you can buy the12600k at 20% discount from the 12700k then that is probably your best choice. On the other hand, I chose the 12700k because I do like those extra cores even though I'll probably never make full use of them. Also, I won't be overclocking. If anything, I will be underclocking to run it cooler.
+60 Reply
Avatar
im not givin out my name 17 May 2022 16:22
wouldn't a 12700k be more future-proof because of the extra 2 cores? and wouldn't it theoretically be able to have 100mhz higher stable overclocks (excluding heat) because of the extra 100mhz? or am I overthinking it?
+25 Reply
Avatar
Root 17 May 2022 17:13
It depends on your needs :)
+22 Reply